What do St Michael’s on the Mount Primary School Governors Do?
Our governing body is responsible for the strategic leadership of our school, working to ensure that we deliver a good quality education. Together with the Head teacher who is responsible for the day-to-day management, we set the school’s aims and policies. We also carry out a number of other important duties, including:
- overseeing the school’s budget
- helping with the appointment of staff
- making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe
- setting and monitoring the school’s aims and policies
- monitoring the performance of the school e.g. in key stage tests
- advising on school policies and procedures
- providing a vital means for parents and the community to get their views heard by the governing body as a whole.
In addition, as governors of a Church of England school, we support St Michael’s distinctive Christian ethos and values.
All our decisions are taken corporately. The Full Governing Body meets 6 times a year and we also have three committees (Management Group, and School Improvement Group, who each meet 3 times a year, and a Pay Committee which typically meets just once a year). Our governors’ attendance records for the last school year can be found by clicking the below.
Governors take on the following commitments to help make sure our school is well-led:
- sharing the responsibilities of the governing body as summarised above
- attending and participating in governors’ meetings. Governors are usually members of a committee as well as the Full Governing Body
- being willing when needed to take on a ‘named governor’ monitoring role
- visiting the school
- undergoing appropriate training
- advsisng on school policies and proceduresproviding a vital means for parents and the community to get their views heard by the governing body as a whole.
Our governors welcome constructive feedback and ideas about the strategic direction of the school.
Please note: Governors do not get involved in the day-to-day functioning of the school, and it is not appropriate to contact us about individual children. For these requests, please either contact your child’s class teacher in the first instance.
Our complaints policy is available on our policies page.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Periodically, vacancies arise on the governing body. The process to fill governor vacancies is determined by the type of governor. Information about the current membership of our governing body is available on the link below. If you would like more information, or are interested in joining our governing body, we would love to hear from you.
17.06.19: Current Parent Vacancy
Please click the link below for details of our current parent vacancy:
Clerk to Governors Vacancy
For Governing Body Membership, click here.
For a register of Governors’ pecuniary interests, click here.
For our Instrument of Government, click here.
For the Register of Attendance 2014/2015, click here.
For the Register of Attendance 2015/2016, click here.
For the Register of Attendance 2016/2017, click here.